- To start the identity verification process via eID function, you will receive a link from your contracting party, or they will send you directly to the POSTIDENT portal
- Launch the POSTIDENT app
- Start your identity check by scanning the QR code that is displayed online (alternatively, enter your case ID in the app).
- Hold your ID card to the NFC interface on your smartphone and enter the 6-digit PIN you have chosen. (If you have not yet assigned a PIN to your ID card, you can use the 5-digit transport PIN that you received in the PIN letter for your ID card. You can then set the new 6-digit PIN during the identification.)
- Your identification data is forwarded securely to your contracting party.
- On a desktop: Alternatively, you can use the AusweisApp software (Windows/Mac) together with an authorized card reader.
How does the identity check work with the online ID function of the German ID card, of the electronic residence permit or the eID card for citizens of the EU?
The following items are required:
German ID card, German electronic residence permit (issued after March 1, 2013) or eID card for citizens of the EU and EEA with the eID function activated
- Smartphone with the NFC function activated
- The 6-digit PIN you chose for your ID card with eID function (alternatively, the official PIN letter for your ID card with eID function)
- On a desktop: Card reader
(approved by BSI)
Frequently asked questions about identification with the online ID function
German ID card, electronic residence permit or eID card for citizens of the EU and EEA in credit card format with the eID function activated.
When you apply for a new ID card, electronic residence permit or eID card for citizens of the EU and EEA, the eID function is activated automatically. You will then receive a letter with your five-digit transport PIN. The first time you use the eID function, you will change this to a six-digit PIN of your own choosing.
For more information about activating the eID function, see the Personalausweisportal (ID card portal) or contact your citizens’ or residents’ registration office.
By applying for your ID card, electronic residence permit or eID card for citizens of the EU and EEA, you were sent a PIN letter by mail enabling you to activate the online ID function.
The PIN is a 5 or 6-digit sequence of numbers. When you identify yourself online with your ID card with eID function or residence permit, you will be asked to specify your PIN for security reasons.
A 5-digit PIN functions as a "Transport PIN" or activation PIN. This PIN must be changed to a 6-digit PIN of your choice before you can use the online ID function for the first time. This can be done via the POSTIDENT app.
If your PIN has 6 digits, your identification document is ready for online use and you can start the identity check right away.
Additional information on POSTIDENT with the online ID function
The process enables you to easily verify your identity by using the POSTIDENT app on your smartphone together with the eID function of the German ID card, the electronic residence permit and the eID card for citizens of the EU - at any hour of the day.