Postvertriebsstück (preferred periodicals)
The most important conditions
- What kind of press materials can you send as Postvertriebsstück (preferred periodicals)?
Newspapers and magazines that
- have a consistent inner and outer design,
- are made up of same-format and double sided pages (at least 9 cm x 14 cm) which through folding or book-binding processing create a unit,
- are produced in identical duplication using a standard print technology and in so doing must be accessible to everyone and appear periodically, at least once every quarter,
- show the number or the descriptor "Special Edition" on the title page (the day of publication or a descriptor relating to publication frequency can also come from the title page or from the masthead)
- Which criteria must be fulfilled in terms of content?
The press product must serve to inform and engage the public of current events, current and trade matters by way of editorial reporting containing no business advertisements (journalistic reporting). Variety in terms of articles, timeliness, publicity as well as continuity must also be met.
- What are the guidelines for distribution?
- The press material must be distributed against payment. This means that the portion distributed against payment must amount to at least 10% of the print run.
- Neither business advertising nor paid advertisements may appear in the portion distributed free of charge.
- What kinds of inserts are allowed?
- Printed material with identical contents (e.g. advertising brochures, press materials without a Press Distribution contract).
- Objects of no more 30 mm in height (e.g. give-aways and free samples).
- Invoices and preprinted payment transaction forms requesting payment for the periodical only. They must show the same amount.
- The preferred periodical must be heavier than the total weight of all inserts.
- The total weight of magazine and insert may not exceed 1000 g.
- The total height allowable of periodical and inserts may not exceed 50 mm.
- The format size of inserts may not be any larger than DIN B4 (353 mm x 250 mm).
- Enclosed press materials for which a Press Distribution contract has not been concluded will be weighed as printed material with the periodicals and invoiced with the total weight of the shipment.
- When are press materials unable to be sent as Postvertriebsstück (preferred periodicals)?
If, for example, the materials' editorial content indicate direct business purposes. Evidence of this could be:
- advertising language,
- articles clearly contributed by companies,
- purchase recommendations, order tips and order numbers,
- catalogued product or service presentations with or without contact information,
- less than 30% journalistic reporting,
- in addition, press products whose title pages contain the names of businesses or products, company or brand names serving the interests of these business enterprises,
- in-house, customer, keyed or company magazines,
- print materials in the form of collected editions where the texts are not easily understandable in and of themselves.
- What are the rules for the dispatch of special editions?
Special editions sent as POSTVERTRIEBSSTÜCK (preferred periodicals) must also comply with the criteria listed above. They are otherwise booked as PRESSESENDUNG (standard periodicals).